With the onset of monsoons, viral infections are on a high. Cold, cough, stomach ache and diarrhoea become common in every household. It is very difficult for a mother to see her baby falling sick due to these. Children become cranky all day and are unable to sleep at night. This is a very painful sight for a mother.
During monsoons, when the weather becomes cooler, children also suffer from blocked nose. Children get extremely cranky because of the discomfort caused due to nasal congestion. Both the bacteria and viruses are there all through the year but they become more active during the rainy season. There could be many reasons for the increased viral infections and common colds during this time – the cold, the growth of germs in stagnant water, mixing of clean and infected water and decreased immunity.
How Nasal Congestion Affects Babies?
1) Obligatory nose breathers
Babies who are less than 1 year of age are obligatory nose breathers which means that they can only breathe through their nose. When they suffer from Nasal congestion, they have difficulty breathing.
2) Mental and physical growth
Chronic nasal congestion leads to mouth breathing. Mouth breathing disrupts our natural body mechanics and adversely affects other bodily functions.
3) Food intake of toddlers
Toddlers are obligatory nose breathers. With a blocked nose, they use their mouth to breathe. When they are eating food they find it difficult to breathe. A blocked nose also affects their hunger since they cannot smell or taste the food.
4) Kids become highly cranky and restless due to nasal congestion.
What are the symptoms of nasal congestion in children below 6 years of age?
1) The nose is runny and drooling all the time.
2) You can hear a whistling sound in the breathing of the child.
3) Nasal congestion leads to snoring while the baby is sleeping.
4) You will find the child picking up on his nose often.
Best remedies for nasal congestion in babies
- Increase the humidity in the room with the help of a humidifier.
- Increase the intake of liquids and water throughout the day.
- Give steam inhalation to babies to give relief from congestion.
- Put a well squeezed towel soaked in warm water gently on the forehead and around the nose to give warm compress.
- Give a lot of quiet time and rest to recover speedily.
- Give saline solution nasal drops to relieve the nasal blockage.
- For children above 2 years of age, place a pillow under the mattress so that there is an angle with the child’s head higher than the feet. This may help out in draining mucus out of sinusitis.
- Consult a doctor if the blockage persists and take proper medication.
About Nasivion Nose Drops
Nasivion nose drops is a nasal decongestants in an easy drop form. It unblocks the nose and provides relief to the baby. It comes in different strength according to the age of the child. Give it only after consulting a doctor.
- a) Nasivion (0.01%) Mini is for infants below 1 year.
- b) Nasivion (0.25) Paediatric is for children between the ages of 1-6 years.
- c) Nasivion saline nasal solution helps soothe nasal dryness and improve nasal hygiene.
Give the dosage as per the advice of the doctor.
Nasal congestion is troublesome not only for the baby but for mothers too. Maintaining hygiene and sanitation in and around the house proves beneficial especially during the monsoons as it checks the growth of bacteria and viruses.
Hope you found these tips helpful do share with me your experiences and tips in the comments box below.